Volume 1, Issue 1 (1-2012)                   WJPS 2012, 1(1): 11-15 | Back to browse issues page

XML Print

Department of Plastic and Recon-structive Surgery, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran , medcenter@neda.net
Abstract:   (14947 Views)
BACKGROUND There are two main surgical approaches, simple ulnar nerve decompression at the elbow, and anterior transposition of the nerve in treatment of cubital tunnel syndrome. Both techniques were reported in literature in details with similar reported success rates. Here, we present a modified simple de-compression surgical technique in treatment of cubital tunnel syndrome. METHODS Fifty eight patients diagnosed with cubital tunnel syndrome undergoing the presented technique were enrolled. This procedure consisted of ulnar nerve decompression at the elbow and a supplementary procedure of inter-muscular septum transverse cut between triceps and brachialis muscle above the elbow. RESULTS Complete sensory recovery was observed in 35 (60.3%) patients, however, mild and occasional sensory symptoms remained in 15 (25.9%), and moderate symptoms persisted in 6 (10.3%) patients. In two patients (3.4%), no sensory improvement was recorded. Post-operatively, muscular hypotrophy improved completely in 5 out of 12 patients (41.7%). However, in the remaining 7 patients (58.3%) with muscular atrophy, motor recovery never took place. CONCLUSION The presented modified simple decompression technique was shown to be an effective and safe procedure for the treatment of cubital tunnel syndrome without any complications.
Full-Text [PDF 128 kb]   (5652 Downloads)    
Type of Study: Original Article | Subject: Special
Received: 2012/03/4 | Published: 2012/01/15

Rights and permissions
Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.